Long weekend is almost here and while lots of peeps are packing up for the cottage or to get out of dodge for the weekend, we are getting ready to rock our last session of summer bootcamps starting Aug 6th (we have Monday off for the holiday:) and celebrate summer with our Sweats & Shades Retreat on Aug 9 – 11 (you can still register!)
That said, I am kicking around The Coop this weekend and decided to invite some of my fave peeps over for a have a healthy balcony potluck (I don’t have a backyard…a little squishy but still works :). We are all bringing something and with gorgeous, sweet strawberries in season, I jumped at the chance to bring the dessert….a scrummy, yummy Apple Strawberry Crumble that is gluten free, dairy free, no sugar added … even my BF loved it.
It is beyond easy to make and is the perfect mixture of sweet, tart, comforting and not too heavy for a summer meal topped with coconut whipped cream. Plus, you can even eat the left overs for breakfast with greek yogurt to add some protein (believe me, I have!)
CHICK FEED: Scrummy Yummy Apple Strawberry Crumble
Chicktastic Topping “Crumbles”
- 2/3 cups of gluten free oats
- 2/3 cup of sliced almonds
- 1/2 cup of gluten free flour (note -I used coconut flour but you can use any kind. Check the Bulk Barn as they have gluten free flours listed and you don’t need to buy a whole bag!)
- 1/3 cup of raw honey or maple syrup (note – you can also omit the honey / maple syrup and use stevia in its place for a sugar free option.)
- 1/3 cup of coconut oil (make sure it is in liquid form so may need to heat lightly if hard)
- 1/2 each of cinnamon and nutmeg
- 4 cups of apples (mixture of green, Fuji, gala peeled and cut into the same size chunks)
- 3 cups of organic strawberries – sliced
- 1/2 cup of chopped dates (note – you can omit the dates and use stevia, raw honey or maple syrup)
- Mix all topping ingredients in a bowl by hand until it forms little crumbles (you may need to add more coconut oil). Set bowl aside.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees
- Grease a 9 X 9 baking dish with coconut oil. Peel and chop all apples. If doing in advance, squeeze lemon juice over to avoid browning. Add apples, sliced strawberries and chopped dates or sweetner to pan and toss with hands so fruit is mixed evenly
- Spread topping “crumbles” evening over fruit and make sure its fully covered
- Bake uncovered for approx. 35 -45 min or until bubbly. Let cool for 5 min.
- Top with coconut whipped cream or greek yogurt, serve and LOVE IT!
Chicks, this recipe is a healthy, “chick approved” MUST TRY and don’t be afraid to get creative with the fruits! Swap out for blueberries, blackberries, peaches, pears…it is a forgiving recipe so don’t worry about being too exact – just make it with lots of love!
Have a fabulous long weekend!
Laura, your head chick xo