I tend to go through phases with my breakfast foods.
For the longest time I was OBSESSED with oatmeal, egg whites and coconut oil.
Then I moved on to protein packed green smoothie recipe.
After that I went to 0% greek yogurt, almonds, chia sead and berries.
Now I have moved on to my latest breakfast OBSESSION…3 ingredient pancakes.
The main thing I ALWAYS focus on when building my breakfast is to ensure they follow what we call at FIT CHICKS “Complete in 3” Rule.
The “Complete in 3” rule basically means that every meal you have should consist of protein, fibre (carbs) & healthy fats. This ensures you are going to keep your blood sugar balanced, have a great ratio of your macronutrients (these are required for survival!) and will help keep your tummy full & body energized.
I can not remember where I originally found this recipe but many version have been on the web for a long time so I can’t take full credit (even though I wish I could!) but I have also included some awesome tips below to make them more yummified (is that even a word?!)
This recipe is SO simple, gluten free, is “Complete in 3” approved ie packed with fibre, protein, healthy fats AND is perfect for the most culinary challenged chicks.
CHICK FEED: 3 Ingredient Power Pancakes
makes 1 serving
- 100g ripe banana (approx 1 medium banana…spotty ones work best
- 1 egg
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- Toppings: See Chick Tips below
- In a bowl, whisk the egg and baking powder with a fork until combined.
- In a separate bowl, mash banana with fork (note – don’t overly mash. You want it a little chunky).
- Once mashed, pour in egg mixture and combine.
- Heat a non stick frying pan to medium heat (depending on how hot your elements get, you may want to go lower. If not non stick pan, use butter or coconut oil).
- Using a tablespoon, but 2 tablespoons of the mixture. Once it starts to bubble and turn a little brown at edges, flip and cook for approx another 1 min. Repeat until all mixture is used
- Serve hot and delicious!
This is a base recipe so now you can get CREATIVE and personalize these little circles of heaven including:
- MAKE IT ELVIS!: Elvis loved peanut butter, banana & bacon sandwiches. As the pancakes are mainly banana you can simply top with slightly heated all natural peanut butter (or sunflower seed butter for those with allergies) and crumbled nitrate free turkey bacon..yum!
- SWEET TREATS: Make is heart shaped cookie cutters and drop in dark chocolate chips and chopped up dried cherries while cooking. Drizzle with 1 tbsp of 3 ingredient chocolate sauce
- FUN FRUIT STACK: Stack em up with layers of antioxidant rich blueberries, raspberries and homemade whipped cream. Yum!
- DON’T LIKE BANANAS? I have also tried this with cooked sweet potato and loved it. Texture is a but different and less sweet but still yummer!
These are also the perfect breakfast to have as part of our upcoming 28 Day Total Body Clean Up Challenge starting Sept 14th. If you are feeling the effects of a serious summer overload of gluten, booze and just too much of the not so good stuff, then THIS is the challenge for you…check more info here!
Happy eating chicks and we would love to hear how you find this recipe!