This sunshine is getting us so excited to not only head outdoors for our summer “FIERCE in 8” starting next week BUT to do our second favorite thing other than exercising….HEALTHY EATING!
And what better way to healthy eat in the gorgeous weather than the BBQ (and in case you missed our “FIT CHICKS Guide to Healthy Grilling”, check it out). Grilling fruit is one of the easiest, healthiest and yummiest ways to add some sweetness to your bbq without adding the pounds to your waistline. And the perfect fruit for this is Pineapple!
CHICK FEED: The Perfect “Girlie Grilled” Pineapple
1 whole fresh pineapple
1 tablespoon freshly-squeezed lemon juice
2 tablespoons of raw honey (optional as it will already be sweet!)
1. Trim and peel pineapple.
2. Cut pineapple in rings or core and cut into wedges.
3. In a small bowl, combine honey and lemon juice. Brush the glaze onto each slice of pineapple, coating completely.
4. Preheat barbecue grill. Either oil or spray the grill rack with non-stick cooking spray.
5. Place pineapple on the grill and cook approx 4 min on each side (turning so that grill marks are on all sides) until the pineapple becomes fragrant and starts to dry out on the surface. (Be careful not to overcook the pineapple as it will turn mushy. The natural sugars in fresh pineapple caramelize quickly when grilled so watch carefully so not to burn.)
6. Remove from the grill and brush with any additional glaze one more time. Serve and enjoy!
There are so many ways to eat this little piece of heaven like:
- Serve with goat cheese, greek yogurt, coconut whipped cream or our 2 ingredient Ice cream recipe for dessert.
- Put on a lean turkey or veggie burger for a Hawaiian kick
- As a side with lean grilled pork or salmon (add a little hot sauce for extra flavor)
- As a fruit kebab appetizer or in a fruit salsa topping
- In a salad to kick it up a notch with toasted nuts and spinach
- Enjoy with a glass of our Sassy Sangria …mocktail incl too
Don’t like pineapple? Try peaches, nectarines or even strawberries!
No BBQ, no prob! All can be done on an electric grill or in a cast iron skillet (use the one with the grill marks for the full faux BBQ look)
Get creative chicks – Eating REAL, WHOLE Foods made with LOVE can be exciting, exotic, delicious and simple. Remember that sharing is caring so send any awesome recipes, tips or tricks our way!
Have a fierce day!
Laura – FIT CHICKS XO
CHICK TIP: How do you know you have the perfect pineapple? Smell the pineapple when purchasing. You should pick up a sweet flavor. The stronger the smell, the riper the fruit. Turn the pineapple upside down in an empty container for a few hours before you grill it to distribute the sugar throughout the fruit.