It’s back to school, back to work and we are all rushing around again like wild women! In class the other night one of my chicks asked me what is one of my fave “on the go” healthy eats and I did not even hesitate before responding…can you guess what it is? I will give you a clue. It’s known as nature’s multivitamin, packed with protein & healthy fats and as an added bonus, comes in its own container. Any guess’s now?
That’s right chicks – one of my all time grab and go healthy eats is the EGG!
Why I heart the egg?
Here are some reasons why I (and you!) should fall back in love with the oeuf :
- A large egg only has 77 calories,
- The white is pure protein with 6 grams in each egg
- The yolks are packed with 5 grams of healthy fat plus awesome nutrients like vitamin b, vitamin a, selenium and choline. (Don’t skip the yolks, it’s where all the good stuff is!)
- Eggs can be eaten so many ways! Sweet, savory, on toast, mixed in oats, in salads…the list is endless.
- They come in their own carry case! Hard or soft boiled eggs are perfect to pack in lunched or bring with you
- They are cost effective. 12 eggs for approx. $2.99…need I say more?
How to cook the perfect egg?
I wish I could take credit for coming up with this but I have to say I follow the method on Bon Appetit (I always overcooked my eggs!).
- Fill a medium – large saucepan with water and bring to a boil.
- While boiling, fill a large bowl with ice cold water
- Slowly drop eggs into the water making sure they do not break.
- Start timer and cook for desired texture (see image for time)
- Remove and place in ice bath to cool.
- Crack and peel once cool or refrigerate.
Remember chicks, not all eggs may be created equal. Hens raised in factories and fed grain-based feed may decrease the nutrient value of your eggs. Look for Omega-3 enriched, pastured eggs or buy from your local farmer (but supermarket eggs are still a good choice if you can’t get the others).
So whether it’s a pre or post workout snack, packed in the kiddies lunch or serving for dinner (soft boiled eggs at dinner are awesome!), let’s get crackin!
Have a fab day,
Your Head Chick Laura xo