Even though it is technically spring, these chilly temperatures are not only making me pumped that FIERCE in 8 classes are still indoors for the May session starting May 5th but it’s still making me crave some serious warm/ love in the tummy feeling foods. And you know me, I have the attention span of a 5 year old (and I loathe washing dishes!) so this one pot turkey chili made with 5 ingredients is my new go to. It is high protein, high fibre, and gluten free. Plus it gets better with time so make a batch, portion it out for the week or freeze for easy meal prep:)
CHICK FEED: 5 Ingredient One Pot Turkey Chili
- 454g of lean ground turkey or chicken
- 1 – 412ml can of diced tomatoes (but if you like a more soupy chili, use the larger can or 2 small)
- 1 can – 426ml can of kidney beans, undrained
- 1 large white onion
- Mixed peppers (choose from green, yellow and orange for color 🙂
- EXTRA: Seasonings incl Chili powder, salt and pepper
- Chop onions and peppers in large chunks. Set peppers aside.
- In a large pot, lightly pan fry onions over medium heat til slightly soft. Stir in ground turkey or chicken and cook til brown. Drain excess to get rid of excess fat or water and add back to pot.
- Stir in can of tomatoes, kidney beans, chopped peppers and 1 tbsp. of chili powder (play with the amount of chili powder based on personal taste and amount of tomatoes)
- Bring to a boil then reduce heat to low, cover and lightly simmer for a min of 10 min. The longer you leave it, the better is tastes so I like to leave for at least 1 hour.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve and enjoy!
- Thick Chili: For a thicker chili, scoop out one ladle of tomato juice and stir in 1 tsp of corn starch to create a slurry. Make sure all chunks are blended in and then a stir back in. Wait approx. 5 min and if still not thick enough, keep adding 1 tsp at time until desired consistency.
- Super Swap Up: This recipe is versatile. Swap out turkey for extra lean ground beef, kidney beans for chick peas or peppers for butternut squash. Food should be fun so play and see what you come up with!
- Chili Powder Play: There are so many yummy spice blends out there. Try ancho chili powder for a smokier flavour or spicy for an extra kick of heat. Just remember to read the labels as many packaged spices have MSG, gluten or added sodium.
Do you have a fav 1 pot meal? Sharing is caring so send my way!
Have a fab day,
Laura Your Head Chick