I love sweet stuff. Good dark chocolate is my favorite and hands down one of my favorite sweet flavour combinations is hazelnut and chocolate. I always strive to eat un-packaged, unprocessed foods made with love (that’s how we roll at FIT CHICKS!), so this is a little sweet treat that helps me curb my sugar cravings and knowing exactly what’s in it (plus it is dairy free!)
Now we have all heard of Nutella: that sweet chocolate hazelnut spread which claims to be part of a healthy breakfast for your kids when “eaten on high fibre WHITE bread” (isn’t that an oxymoron?) and packs a whopping 11g of sugar in a tablespoon with little nutritional value. This is bad stuff!
But not to fret chicks – you can still enjoy your sweet flavour combo but in a healthier way!
Introducing our Chick Approved Homemade Healthy “Nutella” Makeover:
- 2 cups raw hazelnuts
- 2 tablespoons melted coconut oil
- 3 tablespoons of raw cacao powder
- 2 tablespoons of raw honey, coconut syrup or stevia (if using stevia add a little and keep tasting. It can get really sweet fast!)
1. Bake the hazelnuts at 350F for 8-10 minutes, or until browned.
2. Remove the skins ( They can be a little tricky to remove so give yourself some time. Try a towel and roll the hazelnuts around on the baking sheet to pull the skins off).
3. Transfer the hazelnuts to a food processor and grind to a smooth consistency.
4. Add cacao powder and sweetener and process until well mixed.
5. Melt coconut oil and add in 1 tablespoon at a time until you get desired consistency. You may want to add more coconut oil if you prefer a more runny consistency
6. Store in a glass jar and serve at room temp
This is soooo delish! Just remember portion control chicks! This is still a higher calorie treat so just because it is all natural doesn’t mean you can eat the whole jar (even though it is hard not too:)
CHICK TIP – Need a quick sweet fix? Just buy organic hazelnut butter, stir in some cocoa and sweetner to taste and you are good to go! But there is something so much more rewarding when you make it with love (and I swear it tastes better!)
Have a fabulous day!
Laura, your Head Chick
PS. We just posted our Sept camps and we are running a sweet promo! Sign up for Sept 8 week by Aug 28th and save $50 buckaroos off – luvs it! Just enter code ‘fierce’when you sign up online.