Stop spending hundreds of dollars on expensive probiotic supplements and start making your own for pennies! In this interview with Herbalist, Fermentation Queen and Founder of Radical Health, Corrie Rabbe we dive deep into the awesome world of bacteria and your microbiome for weight loss and health, the SUPER easy but powerful art of fermenting your own food and how you can start creating your own superfood probiotics right in your kitchen starting today. Seriously, chicks- you do not want to miss this one!
CLICK ON THE PLAYER ABOVE TO LISTEN!
In this episode, we cover:
- How to get started with fermentation
- Equipment…what do you require?
- How long is the fermentation process
- To get the most benefits from the fermented foods, when should eat them
- How often should we eat probiotic foods? Can’t we just get the same benefits from taking a probiotic
- Corrie’s top 3 tips to set up someone up for fermentation success
- How Corrie personally uses fermented foods in her life
- and more!
Napa Cabbage Kimch
- 2 small or one medium head Napa cabbage, chopped into bite-sized pieces (save 1-2 of the outer leaves intact)
- 6-8 scallions
- 8 ounces daikon, julienned or cut into rounds
- 3-4 carrots, sliced
- You can add small amounts of pretty much any cut-up vegetable you like
- 1/4 cup salt (Himalayan, gray sea salt, any non-iodized salt)
- 8 cups water at room temperature
- 1.5-2 inches peeled ginger, grated or minced
- 4-6 cloves of garlic
- 1 Tbsp. miso paste (do not add more because it is salty; it’s okay to add a little less, or leave this out)
- 2-4 Tbsp. Korean Chili Powder (Find at a Korean grocery market. If you can’t find any, just add your regular hot peppers
- Combine the cabbage, scallions, daikon and carrots (or other veggies) in a large bowl.
- In another bowl, dissolve salt into water. Pour over the veggies. Put an upside-down plate or a pot lid over the veggies to keep them submerged. Let sit for 8 hours or longer.
- Drain and reserve brine. Return veggies to bowl.
- Add the ginger, garlic, miso, scallion whites, and chili powder to a blender or food processor, with enough of the brine to process (about a 1/4-1/2 cup. Start with less!).
- Get your hands dirty: add the paste into the veggies, and mix it in well. All of the veggies should be coated with the paste. You can add a little more brine if needed.
- Pack the veggies into the jar well. Pour enough of the reserved brine into the jar to make sure that everything is under the brine. Use the reserved cabbage leaf to put flat on top of the veggies to hold everything under the brine. Place a weight in the jar to push things down.
- Cover with cheesecloth or kitchen towel (to keep fruit flies out).
- Leave at room temp for at least a week, but ideally three. Taste. If it’s not sour enough, leave it out longer, tasting every day until it’s right (or very close to right).
- Once it is ready, put into the fridge. It will continue to get a little bit sour in the fridge, but not at nearly as fast a rate as on the counter.
About Corrie Rabbe:
Corrie Rabbe is a Certified Nutritional Practitioner (CNP) who graduated from the Institute of Holistic Nutrition with Highest Honours. She holds a Certificate in the Science & Art of Herbalism from Sage Mountain Herbal Centre. She is also a fermented food expert who has studied advanced fermentation with fermented food guru Sandor Katz.
Corrie believes that good digestion is imperative for healing any ailment in the body. A well-functioning gut with healthy gut flora is the root of good health. Just as a tree with sick roots will never thrive, the body will never flourish without a healthy digestive system. And like the soil that surrounds the roots of the tree, our gut flora provide nourishment, protection, and support to the entire body.
Corrie has been a speaker at the 1st Annual Ontario Fermentation Festival, Ottawa-Public Libraries, and at the Agri150 “Walk on the Wild Side” presented by the City of Ottawa.
Learn more about Corrie at radicalhealth.ca
- Fitness & Nutrition Expert Program: Get certified in fitness, nutrition, wellness & business in 12 weeks! Click to download our 2018 brochure. Next program starts September 2018.
- Holistic Nutrition Weight Loss Expert: Become a holistic nutrition weight loss expert! Next program starts October 16 2018.
Want to help support the show?
- Subscribe to us on iTunes and leave a review. Android users can subscribe on Google Play so you never miss an episode!
- Stay in the loop for future podcasts by Clicking here and we will make sure you are the first to know when they are available plus other awesome bonuses too!
- Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions fitness, nutrition, wellness or business that you would like us to give our 2 cents about!
- Follow us on Facebook!
Laura & Amanda – FIT CHICKS xo
*For informational purposes only. Please consult a physician before starting an exercise program