Each month we love to celebrate one of our fierce FIT CHICKS bootcamp members who really shows what it means to be a FIT CHICK! This month we are honoured to feature the fabulous Emma from our Toronto Forest Hill, who was nominated by her amazing Chick Sergeant Jackie.
Read on to hear more about Emma’s journey:
1. What made you decide to join FIT CHICKS ?
Working out used to be part of my weekly routine. I was a competitive swimmer growing up and kept active through university. Before my daughter was born in 2012, I got into sprint triathlons and spent a lot of time biking on the weekends. When I joined FIT CHICKS in 2016, it has been over two years since my last workout. I had spent a lot of time focused on my family and on my career but not on myself. I made a conscious decision to do something for me and thanks to a community Facebook group, I found FIT CHICKS.
2. What is the biggest change you have seen in your life since joining FIT CHICKS? How has fitness and nutrition changed your life for the better?
The biggest change has been my energy levels. I’m not tired at the end of the work day and don’t feel groggy in the morning. I also feel strong and have noticed that my arms and legs are more muscular than they’ve been in a long time. I’ve also seen a positive change in my sleep habits and my ability to focus at work.
3. What do you find is your biggest challenge to continue to choose to be active? How do you overcome it?
The biggest challenge is finding the time. On a good week, I work at least 50 hours. Between work, taking my daughter to her activities and spending quality time with my family, there isn’t a lot of time left!
At the beginning of January, I made a commitment to myself to keep active this year and have really prioritized my workouts. To date, I’ve completed three every week (even while on vacation for March Break). My Monday/Wednesday FIT CHICKS boot camp workouts are in my calendar, along with a Thursday morning workout. My daughter has come to a few boot camp classes and know that I workout three times every week. She keeps me accountable. If see she’s that I miss a workout she’ll grill me on why.
3. What are 2 – 3 tools you use to keep you on a healthy track outside of class?
I try to meal prep every Sunday so that I have healthy food options to choose from all week. I keep healthy snacks at my desk. I try to get up from my desk and move around as much as possible during the day. Instead of calling a colleague, I’ll walk to their office to talk. I keep track of my steps on my phone (because it’s always with me)!
4. If you could give one piece of positive advice to a chick just starting on her fitness journey, what would it be?
If you miss a few workouts or a few weeks of workouts (which I have done), don’t worry about it. Just get back to it and you’ll be on track in no time!
5. Do you have a healthy “go to” recipe that you use for a meal that you take with you? Please share
I love spaghetti squash and zucchini noodles. I usually mix them with the Le Grand pesto and grilled salmon. SO easy to make and the leftovers are great for lunches.
6. What are 3 things in your gym bag and/or kitchen could you not live without? (ie could be a product, piece of clothing, music, etc)
My S’well water bottle, my spiralizer (for making veggie noodles) and my earphones.
7. What is your fave FIT CHICKS Signature workouts & why? Is there anything that is different about your experience at FC than at other gyms or classes?
I like AMRAPS. They are exhausting but it brings out the competitive spirit in my. I usually have a goal of how many sets I want to complete. It’s good to have that to keep you motivated.
For me, FIT CHICKS is like a community. The Chicks and Chick Sergeants are all amazing. I’ve never felt that at any other gym or when attending other exercise classes. It’s also great to see women of all ages and fitness levels working out together and cheering each other on.
I’ve had the opportunity to workout with three different Chick Sergeants. Each one has been genuinely invested in all the women who attend their classes. They are interested in your goals, recognize your progress and keep you accountable.
8. Being fierce is about healthy inside & out. How do you stay motivated and thinking positive about fitness and health? What do you do to nuture your soul and celebrate your fierceness?
I stay motivated by not letting small setbacks get me down. It’s hard not to think positive about fitness and health when you notice positive changes like better energy, sleep and focus. When I get out of my regular workout routine I quickly notice the negative impact on my energy and focus. Know that, helps keep me motivated.
Thank you for sharing your story Emma! We are so proud of you!
FIT CHICKS xo