We re gearing up to kick off our Jan Bootcamps on Jan 9th (make sure to grab your spot!) so let’s get super inspired and positive in this first month of 2017 by celebrating an awesome fitness success story from one of our Toronto chicks, Vanessa from our Toronto Orde St Bootcamp
Vanessa is an awesome inspiration to all chicks. After looking for a new way to challenge herself, Vanessa found the support of the Toronto Orde St chicks and transformed her workout routine , changed her body, her diet and most important her health for the long haul (livin la vida FIT CHICK does a body good!)
1. What made you decide to join FIT CHICKS ?
At the time, my life was moderately active. But most of those activities (i.e. cycling, jogging, swimming) were solitary. I started looking for new ways to challenge myself physically, and loved the idea of doing it in a supportive group setting.
2. What is the biggest change you have seen in your life since joining FIT CHICKS? How has fitness and nutrition changed your life for the better?
For me, it’s all about the mindset. I can’t deny that I’m in better shape than I was when I first joined. But truthfully, I try not to put too much stock in numbers.
Instead, there are little things that bring me a lot of joy. Sleeping more soundly. Waking up with more energy. Feeling more confident in day-to-day life.
Another huge joy is the opportunity to work out with so many brilliant, fun women. Exercise is a lot more enjoyable when you’re laughing with someone else.
3. What do you find is your biggest challenge to continue to choose to be active? How do you overcome it?
Having a solid routine is key. Planning ahead for each weekday is the only way I can ensure I’m going to fit in exercise, nutritious meals, and a good night’s sleep. Even then, life doesn’t always go according to plan — and that’s okay!
The flexibility of this program is great. It’s so helpful to know that if work runs late, I can go to a class at a different time or do a make-up class at a different location.
3. What are 2 – 3 tools you use to keep you on a healthy track outside of class?
Since joining, I’ve worn a pedometer to track my daily activity. I plan my weekly meals on a spreadsheet. I also adore the New York Times’ cooking app for healthy recipes. Of course, I also use the resources on the Fit Chicks website.
4. If you could give one piece of positive advice to a chick just starting on her fitness journey, what would it be?
Be kind to yourself.
5. Do you have a healthy “go to” recipe that you use for a meal that you take with you?
These days, I really enjoy making pear and parsnip soup. It’s perfect for the colder weather, and one batch can be easily stretched into a work week.
Omelette muffins are also a fun, versatile recipe.
6. What are 3 things in your gym bag and/or kitchen could you not live without? (ie could be a product, piece of clothing, music, etc)
– Headband: Truly the hero of my gym bag.
– Blender: From soup to smoothies, it works hard.
– Phone: All of my grocery lists, pedometer results, and meal plans are stored on it. Not to mention, my online calendar.
7. What is your fave FIT CHICKS Signature workouts & why?
Partner drills always get me laughing, and they’re a great way to stay motivated. Tabatas are always the most punishing in the moment, but feel so rewarding.
8. Being fierce is about healthy inside & out. How do you stay motivated and thinking positive about fitness and health?
My instructor Lara is a huge part of that. She is a tireless positive spirit, and a total force of nature. When I first joined, I hadn’t expected support to extend beyond class time. It’s always such a pleasure to receive additional resources from her via email — from kind words, to her playlists.
On a more personal level, I try to make peace with where I am on any given day. Observing what I can do without negativity allows me to be constructive, and focus on what I can do better. It also makes life a lot more joyful.
Vanessa, we are beyond proud of you and your hard work…it is so inspiring to all chicks that starting (or already started!) living la vida FIT CHICK that they can make healthy changes too. Thanks for allowing us to help along your journey, sharing your story with us and keep up the fabulous work!
Make today fabulous xo
FIT CHICKS XO
PS- If you want to join in the fitness fun, our next bootcamps start Jan 9th PLUS we have 2 awesome promos including save $50 off your 8 week bootcamp when you enter code newyear8 and 3 month autopay from $129!* Sign up here:)